The tidal wave of innovation is sweeping across all sectors of how we live our lives, and trucking is part of the groundswell of this technological revolution.
As the value of the trucking industry in the US approaches the $8 billion mark, tech companies are rushing to cash in on this blossoming sector through consumer goods. And this current rush is evident in the influx of apps for truck drivers.
This article will cover the best apps for truckers, ranging from truck fueling apps to fitness trackers. Although some apps are specific to the business of trucking, others are general purpose apps that drivers can use.
- Best All-In-One Trucker App
- Best Trucker Fuel App
- Best Navigation App
- Best Truck Weigh Station App
- Best Trip Planning App
- Best Weather App for Truckers
- Best Podcast App
- Best Audiobook App
- Best Music Streaming App
- Best App for Relaxation
- Best Fitness App for Truckers
How We Selected the Best Apps?
Before we start exploring individual apps, let’s first explain the criteria behind our selections and additions to this list.
- App Store rating. We searched for apps with a decent average user rating on both Apple’s App Store and Google Play.
- Pricing. We sought out free apps first, then moved to apps with pocket-friendly subscription fees.
- Usability. Instead of focusing solely on the app’s features, we prioritized ease of use. Our thought process centered on the driver’s ability to use app features while driving — like switching radio channels.
- Connectivity. Although most apps require an internet connection to function properly, we expanded our search to those with offline features. After all, some drivers will travel along routes with limited internet connectivity.
- Customer support. We ensured that all the apps on this list have excellent customer support, regardless of user age or familiarity with tech.
- Popularity. To be on the safe side, we’ve only included apps with a significant number of users rather than lesser-known alternatives.
- Security. All the apps on this list protect the privacy of users’ personal data.
Best Apps for Truck Drivers
Here are the best apps that every truck driver can download on their smartphones and tablets.
Best All-In-One Trucker App
DAT One is a popular multi-purpose app that caters to the needs of truckers. The app helps you plan your trip and provides emergency assistance based on your location. Drivers also use DAT to find loads within 200 miles of their location. You can also access the entire load board network when you purchase the DAT Load Board package.
- Perfect solution if you want to limit the number of apps you use
- Direct communication with a carrier or broker
- Provides the fastest document scanning and delivery.
- Handles accidents and claims submissions.
- Compatible with both Android and iOS devices, it can be downloaded on all major phones and tablets.
- You will need a Fleet or Broker ID to be authorized.
- You want to keep your device plugged in while using this app.
You can enjoy all features of Transflo Mobile+ for free.
DAT One is another all-in-one trucking app. Many drivers prefer DAT One, because it provides access to the extensive North American load board network.
Best Trucker Fuel App
As the name suggests, GasBuddy is a valuable addition to your trucking arsenal — and it is also a useful asset given the current state of gas prices. This trucker fuel app helps you track and manage your truck’s fuel consumption during trips.
- This app helps you regulate the amount you spend on fuel.
- Fill-ups are deducted from your linked debit card.
- You can sign up without a credit check.
- You can get a $.25 per gallon discount with the FREE FOREVER card.
- Drivers can click on specific states to find out the availability of gas beforehand.
- Not all gas stations are available on the app.
- The prices take some time to update to real-time values.
The app is free, but you need to pay $9.99 per month to join the Premium club.
Best Navigation App
TruckMap is the best GPS app for truckers. It contains real-time traffic and road congestion updates. You can also use this app to view your route (and terrain) directly from satellites.
TruckMap is easy to use.
The app makes you aware of any dangerous conditions at the facility.
It helps you to quickly find the loading dock once it's assigned.
The app is frustrating if you don’t have a strong internet connection.
TruckMap has low accuracy in rural areas.
TruckMap is free to download.
If you don’t want to deal with the issues associated with TruckMap, then Waze is the answer for you. This trucker maps app works in the background even when you don’t have an internet connection.
Best Truck Weigh Station App
As the name indicates, Weigh My Truck (WMT) is an app for drivers to weigh their trucks at any stage of the journey. Follow these instructions to use this weighing app:
- Register on the WMT website.
- Download the app.
- Visit a CAT Scale.
- Open the app and confirm the CAT Scale location.
- Confirm your truck.
- Receive the weight on your smartphone.
- WMT makes it easy to weigh your apps.
- You can get the PDF copy on your mobile device.
- WMT helps you bypass weigh stations.
- Finding a CAT Scale location can be challenging.
- The login process takes too long.
- You can only choose one payment method.
You can download the app from the website for free. However, you need to pay every time you weigh your truck’s load.
Best Trip Planning App
Before embarking on any trip, you need to plan your route and specify the activities you will do during your journey. The aptly named Truckers Trip Planner feature on Trucker Path allows you to arrange your trip itinerary in alignment with the hours of service and the estimated time of arrival (ETA).
- The app shows you alternate routes.
- You can plan your trip to maximize your free time.
- You can spot available parking spots.
- The app has a night mode.
- Alternate routes are not always correct.
- The app navigation is glitchy.
To get an estimate, request a demo on Trucker Path’s official website.
Best Weather App for Truckers
Before heading out with your load, you need to monitor the weather to get a better idea of what to expect. The Weather Channel App is the best weather app for truckers because it gives accurate forecasts from the DOT (Department of Transportation).
- Thanks to the partnership with IBM, the app can provide accurate weather data for travelers.
- The app is easy to use.
- You will receive weather alerts via push notifications.
- The in-app ads affect the user experience.
- The forecasts are never 100% accurate.
The Weather Channel App is free to download and use.
My Radar is a road trip weather app that can substitute for the Weather Channel App. This app gives you up-to-the-second weather alerts to help you plan your trip.
Best Podcast App
Many podcast apps are available in app stores, but Pocket Casts tops the list. This app provides truck drivers with great listening and discovery experiences. You can access podcast content curated by experts while driving.
- The app’s advanced filters simplify your search.
- You can curate the playback queue with your favorite content.
- You can sync your Pocket Casts account across multiple devices.
- The app has CarPlay and Chromecast.
- Some features don’t work well on mobile.
- You cannot curate your podcast playlist.
You can get the app for free, but you’ll need to pay $10.74 annually to use all the features available on Pocket Casts Plus.
Stitcher is a fitting alternative podcast app for truckers. The app enables you to listen to your favorite podcasts while on the go. You can also enjoy the app on your mobile browser. Alternatively, you can download the app from the Play Store or App Store.
Best Audiobook App
Whether you are a local, regional, or OTR driver, Audible can help you catch up on all those books you’ve been meaning to read — or listen to. The Amazon-backed app gives users access to a vast library of audiobooks as well as podcasts. You can find bestsellers in any genre to boost your reading catalog.
- Audible sends you reminders to go back to books you’ve put to the side or may have forgotten about.
- You can send Audible gifts to friends and family.
- The subscription is expensive.
- iPhone users can only purchase books via the website due to contract restrictions preventing them from downloading titles through the Audible app.
- You need to create an Amazon account to use Audible.
You can use the Audible free version for 30 days, after which you will start paying $14.99 for exclusive monthly access.
LibriVox is a capable substitute for Audible due to its simplicity. Although Audible offers more features as well as a broader library, LibriVox can also deliver a smooth audiobook experience.
Best Music Streaming App
Spotify is a top-tier app for streaming music and podcasts. Truck drivers can curate their on-the-road playlists and sing along during each journey. Spotify excels as a music streaming app because it makes it easy for listeners to discover new songs and artists. You can also share playlists with your colleagues, friends, and family members.
- The app is user-friendly.
- You can listen to songs for free on Spotify.
- You don’t need to enter credit card details to register.
- The app has over a million songs.
- The ads are annoying.
- The free version plays songs in the Shuffle mode.
When you sign up for Spotify Premium, you get the first three months free. Afterward, you can choose from the following plans:
- Individual — 1 account at $9.99/month.
- Duo — 2 accounts at $12.99/month.
- Family — 6 accounts at $15.99/month.
- Student — 1 account at $4.99/month.
Choose the plan within your budget to enjoy a seamless listening experience. Alternatively, you can stick with the free plan if you don’t mind ad interruptions.
Although Spotify is the best app for truck drivers in terms of music consumption, apps like Tidal, Apple Music, Deezer, and Soundcloud can also replicate a similar streaming experience.
Best App for Relaxation
Trucking is a stressful occupation — you always have to be on high alert when moving your trailer from one location to another. To cope with this stress, you need to decompress whenever you get the chance. Although some drivers rely on music to relax their mood, you might not have the right playlist to clear out the cobwebs.
With an app like Calm Radio, you can listen to a non-stop curated playlist containing relaxation music. You can also choose any channel according to your preference, whether it is jazz or just white noise.
- Calm Radio is perfect for sleeping and calming your nerves.
- The app uses smart recommendations to optimize your playlists.
- You can download it on any device.
- You have limited control over the playlist because the music comes from programmed channels.
- The cost of subscription is high.
Users can use and download the Calm Radio app for free. The premium version will cost you $69.96 annually.
Headspace is another excellent mindfulness app that puts you in a zen state. Truck drivers can use this app to practice mindfulness, whether operating a tractor trailer or semi-truck. You can also use Headspace to meditate and listen to relaxing tracks.
The Loona App is also a great app for relaxation.
Best Fitness App for Truckers
Driver health is a massive concern in the trucking industry — especially when considering that over 69% of truck drivers are overweight. With that in mind, every trucker should have a fitness app when they are hauling loads between two locations.
MyFitnessPal is a trucker fitness app for drivers seeking to maintain a consistent workout routine while on the road. This app helps drivers carve out time to exercise and work on muscle groups. The app also has a food journal to help you monitor your caloric intake. If you want to eat healthy, check out our article about healthy meals for truck drivers.
- This app allows you to set your fitness goals.
- The dashboard makes it easy to visualize your progress.
- You can curate your meals based on the specified calories.
- You can connect with apps like FitBit, Garmin, and MapMyRun.
- The fitness app is expensive.
- The app consumes time.
- The calories are not accurate.
You can use the app for one month for free, after which you will be billed $79.99 yearly.
Instead of using MyFitnessPal, you can opt for Rolling Strong, a fitness app that promotes the culture of wellness through teamwork. This app fosters a sense of community for drivers pursuing fitness goals.
Trucking, like any other profession, can be made easier using technology. With the above apps currently available in stores, you can optimize your routes and save money on miscellaneous expenses. Navigation apps will help you map your route before starting your journey. You can also use trucker fuel apps to spot gas stations along your trucking route.
Also, you need streaming apps to listen to music, podcasts, and audiobooks — these help make the journey more worthwhile. And most importantly, don’t forget about apps for your physical and mental wellbeing.
If you want to work with a company that cares about the driver’s overall health and wellbeing, HMD Trucking is the place for you. Our personalized approach to trucking makes us the favorite destination for drivers ( min 6 months of CDL-A experience required).. Apply with us now to start your trucking adventure.